Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sir Willy


A few weeks ago my little chihuahua, Sir William Wallace a.k.a Willy, suffered a herniated disk in his back. The vet called it IVDD. I never realized dogs could suffer such injuries. Poor Willy, he was in such horrific pain; he cried and cried. I cried and cried also. I hated to see him suffer. He's been on pain meds and prednisone since the injury and hasn't been himself. It kills me to see him as he is now. Hearing the vet speak about the reality of the injury, the possiblity that it could cost Willy his life, has made me realize just how much I love this tiny little dog.

He is really the perfect little pet. Have lupus, fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome so I am always tired and sleepy. My life is nothing like it was when I was able to work. Now, I have to lie down and sleep or rest, Willy is always willing to lie down with me. Somedays I think he may even sleep more than I do. Willy also has a wonderful personality considering he is a chihuahua. He is possessive of me and didn't snap or try to bite until my daughter began to tease him.

Willy has one of the craziest hang ups. He loves to sun himself every morning at our back door. He is so smart, when he sees the sun beaming thru the blinds, he sits at the door and stares me down. When my luppie mind grasps what he is trying to tell me, I open the door. Willy lays there until he gets too hot then he drags himself into the shade. It's so funny to watch. He does this over and over until he sits there and pants and can't hold his head up. Another funny thing about his tanning sessions is that he really gets a tan. His skin has turned black! I didn't know he would tan until one side of his body (the right side) was black. His left side was getting dark by then. I almost freaked out. His skin is normally tan. Now, my baby gets rubbed down with Water Babies suntan lotion before the back door opens.

No comments:

Post a Comment